1. Cage--PLEASE READ THE CAGE SECTION "BEFORE"
YOU PURCHASE A CAGE!!Home Page
2. Chinchilla Pellets (not rabbit)--preferably
pellets NOT mixed with treats, because they tend
to eat only the treats. I use "Tradition"
chinchilla pellets, but there are others to
3. Whole Grain Supplement--I order mine from
Lone Star Chinchilla @ www.lonestarchinchilla.com,,
The cost is about $1.85 per pound. Mix
it with crushed rose hips. I like to mix
5 parts of grain to 1 part rose hips.
I give my chins 1 teaspoon each evening when
I feed them.
4. Alphalfa or Timothy Hay--You can buy it
loose or in cubes. I use the cubes.
5. Hay Rack--you can purchase these to hang in
the cage & put loose hay in them.
6. Dry Papaya--one each evening (about the
size of an M&M).
7. Dry Shredded Wheat--Spoon-size-plain (
NO sugar or frosted). Mine get 1 each
8. Dry Raisens--Use these in moderation.
Too many of these is not good for them. Some
people give 1 per day. I give mine 1 or
2 about 4 times a week.
9. Veterinarian for "EXOTIC" pets.
10. Wood for chewing--(see list of SAFE &
UNSAFE woods on my Cages & Set Up section.
They always need something to chew on, because
their teeth constantly grow. If their teeth
get too long, they will have problems.
11. Pumice for chewing--It is best if you can
drill holes in the wood & the pumice so that
it can be hung or you can buy it ready to be
hung from the pet stores.
If it is left on the floor of the cage, they
will potty on it & then they will not use it.
I drill holes in mine & string them on treat
kabobs that they sell in the pet stores (
usually in the bird aisle). I use the
solid straight ones, not the ones made out of
chain. It is too difficult to thread
them on chain. You can put the wood &
the pumice on the same holder. My husband
cuts branches off our apple tree & slices it
& drills holes & threads that. They love
it!! Or sometimes he goes to Lowe's or a
home building supply store & buys boards (
ONLY WOODS FROM THE SAFE & UNSAFE WOODS LIST!!)
& cuts it & I use that. But then again,
we have many chinnies.
12. Food Dishes--Again, you need to get the hanging
types. If their dish is sitting on
the floor of the cage, they WILL use it for
a potty & then they won't eat it.
13. Water Bottle--glass or plastic, but if
you get plastic they may eat a hole in it if
they can reach it. They sell guards for
the bottles if you wish to use them.
14. Bath House & Bath Dust--They sell actual
bath houses for chinchillas, but there are a
variety of other things that can be used
instead. For instance, pans, basins,
bowls, etc. Use a fine dust to protect
their coat. They sell a cheaper one,
but it is too coarse & it will cut up their
beautiful coats. Don't use it.
15. Pine Shavings--DO NOT USE CEDAR SHAVINGS.
IT CAN KILL YOUR CHIN!! The fumes are
not good for their respiratory systems & if
eaten will be fatal to them.
16. Cuddle Bone--You can use this if you
want, but don't buy the colored ones, get
white. I bought colored ones for mine
one time & their faces were all yellow &
some pink!! It finally wore off in a
Enjoy shopping for your new friend.
There are many things in the stores that
are tempting to buy for them, but use this
list as a guide to keep your chin healthy,
happy & most important safe.